MA (Pondicherry) MSc (in Anthropology, Delhi) PhD (Gauhati)
Ethnicity, Social Change, Sociological Theory, Research Methodology
Department of Sociology
Gauhati University, Guwahati, 781014
Culture, Conflict and Integration: Sociological Essays, Navakanta Barua (Research) Foundation, 2010.
“The Need for Enacting Social Legislation for Women Scientist’ as conference e-Proceedings on “Women in Scientific Research- Examining the Challenges and Identifying their Needs” in the Journal of Applicable Chemistry, 2012, 1 (5): 586-702, Nagaland, ISSN: 2278-1862
The Expanding Contours of Ethnography” Journal of Social Science, Humanities and Literature, Vol III. No 1&2 , Dec. 2014. ISSN- 2277-842x
Contributed seven Chapters on Auguste Comte, Herbert Spencer, Emile Durkheim, Karl Marx, R.K. Merton and Talcott Parsons in the edt book on ‘Sociology for ACS Main Examinations’ ISBN.978-93-244-0352-0, 2014
Attended National Seminar on “Role of Anthropology in Human Welfare” organized by Department of Anthropology Dr H.S.Gaur Viswavidyalaya, Sagar and Indira Gandhi Rastriya Manava Sangrahalay, Bhopal (from 16-17th February 2006) and presented a paper on “Democratic Decentralisation And Tribal Development: A Case Study in Assam.
Participated in the workshop on Development of Self Learning Materials organised by Krishna Kanta Handique State Open University in collaboration with DEC,
Participated and presented a paper in the seminar organised by IGNOU in
Attended seminar on Indian Youth: Challenges and Prospects organised by NAS (PG) College,
1. Presented paper on “An Analysis of Gender Issues in Agriculture in Assam with Special Reference to Bangladesh, Myanmar and Thailand” in the International Seminar on “Towards Greater Co operation Between South and South East Asia: The Importance of India’s North east Playing the Bridge and the Buffer Roles” organised by the Omeo Kumar Das Institute of Social Change and Development, in Guwahati in November 2004.
2. Attended International Congress on Cultural Heritage and New Technologies” (on invitation.) in
3. Attended Workshop on “Social Change and Identity in Muslim Societies” on invitation in Beirut Organized by
4. Attended 18th Indo-Pacific Prehistory Association Congress (IPPA) (20th – 26th March 2006) in
5. Attended Annual conference of Indian Distance Education Associatopn held at Institute of Distance Education and Open Learning, Gauhati University, Guwhati (14-16th November, 2008) and presented a paper on “Replication of New Ideals in Open Distance Learning in the Emerging Frontiers of India’s North-East”.
6. Invited to attend International Congress on Cultural Heritage and New Technologies” in
7. Attended and submitted a paper on Land use pattern in the urban fringes of Guwahati in the International Geographical union Commission Seminar on Land Use, Biodiversity and Climate Change, 11-13 December 2010.
8. Attended and presented a paper entitled “The Aboriginal Institution of Karadji: From Sorcery to Medicine Man- Can He Survive?” in the Symposium on “Genres of Belief from a Folklorist Perspective” organized by University of Tartu, Estonia in collaboration with University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya on 4-5 February, 2013
Principal Investigator of the independent research project project entitled A Study of Mortuary Practices of Plains Karbis of Assam in its Various Forms funded by Assam Institute of Research For Tribals And Scheduled Castes (A Govt of
Guest Faculty in Pragjyotish College, Guwahati from 2002 – 2007. Taught Anthropology at undergraduate level.
Guest Faculty in Asian Institute of Nursing Education (under SNDT University, Mumbai) from 2006 – 2008. Taught Sociology at undergraduate level
Guest Faculty in Cotton College in 2008 and taught a course in Culture Studies.
Associated with Omeo Kumar Das Institute of Social Change and Devlopment, Guwahati varying capacities as JRF and Research Associate from 2003 to 2007
Academic Consultant in Sociology in Krishna Kanta Handiqui State Open University from 2007 to 2009
Assistant Professor in UGC-Academic Staff College, Gauhati University from 2010 to 2011
Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology, Gauhati University 2011 to 2015
Associate Professor in the Department of Sociology, Gauhati University from 2015 till present
Doctoral research scholars under supervision and the title of doctoral research
aminul islam ( on A Study of the Society and Social institutions of the ASSAMESE MUSLIMS (AXOMIYA MUSALMAN) OF NALBARI DISTRICT)
CHANDRA UPADHYAY (on SOCIO CULTURAL INCLUSION OF MUSLIMS OF NEPAL: A STUDY Of SUNSARI DISTRICT)
PAMIDI HAGJER (on BIRTH RITUALS AND DEATH RITUALS IN URBAN SPACE: AN ethnpgraphic study of dimasa community of assam)
PRANITA MEDHI (on Understanding Urban Spaces: An Ethnographic Study of its Dynamics and Continuity in Guwahati City with Special Focus on Dispur -Ganeshguri Extension
SANGEETA DAS (on CULTURE, IDENTITY AND REPRESENTATION: A SOCIOLOGOCAL STUDY OF ethnic mobilisation amomg THE KARBIS LIVING IN )THE PLAINS OF ASSAM
TRINITY BORGOHAIN (on SOCIAL LIFE OF SLUM DWELLERS: A CASE STUDY OF GUWAHATI CITY)
M.A. in Sociology
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS :