MSc (Gauhati) PhD (Gauhati)
Circular Statistics, Distribution Theory
Department of Statistics
Gauhati University, Guwahati, 781014
1) First position in the T.D.C Final Examination in Science stream held under Gauhati University in the year 2010 and declared the 'Best Graduate in Science'.
2) ‘Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holder (2010-12)’ awardee in the year 2011 for securing the first position in the T.D.C Final Examination in Science stream held under Gauhati University in the year 2010.
3) Highest CGPA score in the Master of Science Examination held under Gauhati University in the subject ‘Statistics’ in the year 2012.
4) “DST INSPIRE Fellowship” awardee in Statistics in the year 2013 by the Department of Science and Technology, India.
5) Awardee of the “J.K.Chowdhury Scholar Award” in the year 2010 for securing the Best Graduate position of Cotton College in the Science Stream.
6) Awardee of the “Jnanananda Choudhury Memorial Prize” in the year 2010 for securing the highest aggregate marks among all the successful candidates having major in the B.Sc Examination 2010 from Gauhati University, Guwahati.
7) Awardee of the “Joy Kanta Bhuyan Memorial Prize” in the year 2010 for securing the first position in T.D.C Statistics (Major) Examination, Gauhati University for the year 2010.
8) Awardee of the “Girija Bala Bhuyan Memorial Prize” in the year 2012 for securing the highest marks in Statistics among the First Class female candidates in the M.Sc Examination, Gauhati University for the year 2012.
9) Qualified in the SET examination conducted by SLET Commission, N.E. Region in the subject ‘Statistics’ in the year 2014.
10) Attended and successfully completed the 2015 SERB School on Matrix Methods & Fractional Calculus held at Centre for Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, Peechi Campus, Peechi, Kerala during 15.06.2015 to 10.07.2015 securing the Second Rank with the final cumulative grade of 80% in all the examinations held in the school.
11) Recognized as a Ph.D. Supervisor under the Faculty of Science, Gauhati University in the Department of Statistics.
1) Honorary Faculty in the Department of Statistics, Cotton College, Guwahati during the time period 16.08.2012 to 30.11.2012.
2) Assistant Professor in the Department of Statistics, Gauhati University from February 2017 till date.
M.Sc first semester:
Paper STA1036 (Second half): Probability Theory
M.Sc second semester:
Paper STA2056 (Practical): Practicals on Design of experiments
M.Sc third semester:
Paper STA3026 (First half): Testing of hypothesis (Statistical Inference-II)
Paper STA3056 (Practical): Practicals on multivariate analysis
M.Sc fourth semester:
Paper STA4016 (First half): Non-parametric Statistical Inference and Semi Parametric Methods
Paper STA4016 (Second Half): Bayesian inference and Decision Theory
Paper STA4026 (Second half-Group A): Linear Programming Problem
Ph.D. Course Work:
Paper II: Computer Applications (R and SPSS)
Previously taught papers:
M.Sc First semester: STA-1056 (Practicals on Sample Survey)
M.Sc Third semester: STA-3036 (Stochastic Processes)
Ph.D. Course work: Paper-I (Research methodology)
Circular statistics, Distribution theory, Stochastic processes.
1. Worked as a Project Fellow in the UGC Sponsored Major Research Project entitled “Statistical Modeling on Circular Data: An application to Health Sciences” in the Department of Statistics, Gauhati University under the supervision of Professor Kishore K. Das, Principal Investigator during the time period: November, 2012 to September, 2013.
2. Worked as a DST INSPIRE Fellow in the Department of Statistics, Gauhati University under the supervision of Professor Kishore Kumar Das, as
i) A JRF during the time period: October, 2013 to 23 November, 2015
ii) A SRF during the time period: 24 November, 2015 to 29 January, 2017.
1) Kishore Kumar Das and Sahana Bhattacharjee (2016). Circular statistical approach to study the occurrence of seasonal diseases. STATISTICA.76(2): 141-167.
2) Bhattacharjee, S. and Das, K.K. (2017). Exploration of the relationship between wind direction and wind speed through circular-linear density estimation: a case study. Journal of Data Science (JDS),15(1): 129-154.
3) Bhattacharjee, S. and Das, K.K. (2018). Estimation of circular-circular probability distribution. Electronic Journal of Applied Statistical Analysis, 11(1): 155-167.
4) Bhattacharjee, S. (2018). A Counting Process With Generalized Exponential Inter-Arrival Times. STATISTICA. 78(1): 3-14.
5) Das, K.K., Ahmed, I. and Bhattacharjee, S. (2018). A New Three-Parameter Poisson-Lindley Distribution for Modelling Over-dispersed Count Data. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 13(23): 16468-16477.
6) Bhattacharjee, S. and Borah, D. (2019).Wrapped Length Biased Weighted Exponential Distribution. Thailand Statistician.17(2): 223-234.
7) Sarkar, P., Bhowmick, A., Medhi, M.P., Bhattacharjee, S., Subhadra, S. and Banu, S. (2019). Determination of individual Type-2 diabetes risk profile in the North East Indian population & its association with anthropometric parameters. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 150: 390-398.
8) Medhi, S., Keppen, C., Barooah, P., Borthakur, P., Saikia, S., Deka, M., Keppen, J., Bhattacharjee, S. and Khamo, V. (2020). Genetic polymorphisms along with dietery and environmental factors enhance the susceptibility to Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma in nagaland of Northeast India. Biochemical Genetics. 58(4): 533-550. DOI: 10.1007/s10528-020-09954-1
9) Bhattacharjee, S. (2020). Exploration of some distributional properties, parameter estimates and applications of the Wrapped Quasi Lindley distribution. Journal of Mathematical and Computational Science. 10(6): 2390-2407.
10) Talukdar, J., Kakati, K., Ali, E., Choudhury, B.N., Baruah, M.N., Bhattacharyya, M., Bhattacharjee, S. and Medhi, S. (2021). Altered expression of TGF-β1 and TGF-βR2 in tissue samples compared to blood is associated with food habits and survival in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Current Problems in Cancer. 45(1):. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.currproblcancer.2020.100617
11) Bhattacharjee, S., Ahmed, I. and Das, K.K. (2021). Wrapped Two-Parameter Lindley Distribution for Modelling Circular Data. Thailand Statistician. 19(1): 82-95.
12) Bhattacharjee, S. and Das, K.K. (2021). Frequentist Predictive Inference for wind direction data under l-modal circular normal model through sufficiency approach. Statistics and Applications. 19(2): 267-279.
13) Chakraborty, S. and Bhattacharjee, S. (2021). Modeling proportion of success in high school leaving certificate examination - a comparative study of inflated Unit Lindley and inflated Beta distribution. Journal of Mathematical and Computational Science. 11(6): 7170-7198.
14) Das, K. K. and Bhattacharjee, S. (2021). Modelling seasonality of deaths in Guwahati city, Assam, India. International Journal of Population and Development. 1(1): 137-144.
15) Bhattacharjee, S. and Kashung, N. (2021). On some properties and application of the transformed version of a probability model defined on the unit interval. Journal of Sceintific Research, BHU, Varanasi. Accepted for publication.
1) S. Bhattacharjee and N. Borah. (2021). Forest Area, Production and Export of Forest Products in India: A study of their inter-dependence and Forecasting. Exploring conventions of Statistical Discourse. Accepted for publication.
2) Sahana Bhattacharjee (2021). Progress made by the North-Eastern states of India towards the 2030 health-related Sutainable Development Goals (SDGs): Performance of the health and well-being indicators. Sustainable Development Goals in Northeast India - Challenges and Achivements. Accepted for publication.
Research Scholar(s) working under my supervision:
1. Nandita Borah (registered in 2021)
Area of research: Distribution Theory
Workshops/seminars/conferences/training programmes attended:
1) Participated in the One week training programme on ‘Official Statistics’ held at the National Academy of Statistical Administration, Noida, India during 25.06.2012 to 29.06.2012.
2) Participated in the “Workshop on Combinatorial Mathematics with Statistical Applications in Health and Related Sciences” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 30.12.2012.
3) Participated in the “International Conference on recent Advances in Mathematical Statistics and its Applications in Applied Sciences” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 31.12.2012 to 02.01.2013.
4) Participated in the “National Seminar on Ethnic violence and its impact on demographics in North Eastern Region” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 16.02.2013 to 18.02.2013.
5) Participated in the “North-East Workshop on Statistical pattern Recognition and Data Mining” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 13.03.2013 to 15.03.2013.
6) Participated in the “Training Programme on Computer and Statistical Methods in Social Science” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 18.04.2013 to 27.04.2013.
7) Participated in the “First Workshop on Official Statistics in North Eastern States” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 02.01.2014 to 04.01.2014.
8) Participated in the “Workshop on Large Scale Sample Survey and Regression Techniques” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 12.03.2014 to 14.03.2014.
9) Participated in the “VI-MSS Workshop on Environmental Statistics” held at Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata during 02.03.2015 to 04.03.2015.
10) Attended and successfully completed the 2015 SERB School on Matrix Methods & Fractional Calculus held at Centre for Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, Peechi Campus, Peechi, Kerala during 15.06.2015 to 10.07.2015.
11) Participated in the “North-East Summer Workshop in Analysis and Probability-2016 (NE-SWAP 2016)” held at Rajiv Gandhi University, Doimukh, Arunachal Pradesh during 31.05.2016 to 04.06.2016.
12) Participated in “A workshop on Statistics in Society” held at Gauhati University during 28.03.2017 to 29.03.2017.
13) Successfully completed the UGC sponsored “116th Orientation Programme” conducted by the UGC Human Resource Development Centre, Gauhati University during 01.06.2018 to 28.06.2018.
14) Successfully completed the UGC sponsored “Refresher Course on Teacher Education (IDC)” conducted by the UGC Human Resource Development Centre, Gauhati University during 19.03.2020 to 03.03.2020.
15) Successfully completed the One Week Faculty Development Programme on 'Online Teaching & Learning in India' jointly organized by Guru Angad Dev Teaching Learning Centre, SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi under the Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching (PMMMNMTT) of MHRD in collaboration with Bodoland University Assam held in online mode during 17.06.2020 to 22.06.2020.
16) Successfully completed the 07-days Blended Faculty Development Programme on "Basics of Python Programming" organized by Jorhat Extension Center, NIELIT Guwahati in collaboration with Jagannath Barooah College, Jorhat, Assam held during 22.07.2020 to 28.07.2020.
Papers presented in seminars/conferences:
1) Presented a paper in the “International Conference on Robust Statistics”, 2015 held at Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata during 12.01.2015 to 16.01.2015.
2) Presented a paper in the “Platinum Jubilee International Conference on APPLICATIONS OF STATISTICS” held at the Department of Statistics, Calcutta University, Kolkata during 21.12.2016 to 23.12.2016.
3) Presented a paper in the “North East Indian Universities Research Scholars Conference on Statistics” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 25.02.2014 to 26.02.2014.
4) Presented a paper in the “Two Day National Seminar to Celebrate NATIONAL STATISTICS DAY, 2013 On the Theme LABOUR FORCE & EMPLOYMENT STATISTICS” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 28.06.2013 to 29.06.2013.
5) Presented a paper in the “National Meet of Research Scholars in Mathematical Sciences (NMRSMS 2015)” held at Gauhati University, Guwahati during 24.11.2015 to 28.11.2015.
6) Presented a paper in the “National Seminar on Recent Trends in Theoretical and Applied Statistics-I” held at Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh during 11.03.2016 to 12.03.2016.
7) Presented a paper in the “Platinum Jubilee International Conference on Applications of Statistics” held at University of Calcutta, Calcutta during 21.12.2016 to 23.12.2016.
8) Presented a paper in the “International Conference on New Paradigms in Statistics for Scientific and Industrial research” held at CGCRI, Kolkata during 04.01.2018 to 06.01.2018.
9) Presented a paper in the "International Conference on Climate Change: Exploring the Multidisciplinary Contours" held at NLU, Assam during 09.03.2019 to 10.03.2019.
10) Presented a paper in the "27th International Conference of International Academy of Physical Sciences on Recent Advances in Statistics and Operations Research" held online and organized by the Department of Mathematics, NIT Sikkim, India during 26.10.2021 to 28.10.2021.
1) Delivered two lectures as a resource person in the “7-day training course in innovative research dimensions and data analysis in R”, organized by and held at the department of Statistics,Assam University during the time period 16.01.2018 to 22.01.2018. The lectures were delivered in the following topics:
i) Statistical Graphics in R.
ii) Regression Techniques in R.
2) Organizing secretary of the Two Day National Seminar on Statistics for People, Society and Economy (NSSPSE), held in the Department of Statistics, Gauhati University during 22-23 February, 2019.
3) Course co-ordinator and resource person for the Introductory course: SPSS and data analysis, organized by the Pre Examination Training Centre (PETC), Gauhati University during April 25 - May 22, 2019.
4) Delivered two lectures as a resource person in the "3 days National Workshop on Latex", organized by and held in the department of Mathematics, University of Science and Technology (USTM), Meghalaya during the time period 29.07.2019 to 31.07.2019. The lectures were delivered in the following topics:
i) Writing thesis using latex.
ii) How to prepare slide presentation using latex.
5) Joint co-ordinator of the One Week Condensed Training Programme in Data Analysis using R and SPSS held in the department of Statistics, Gauhati University during August 30 - 5 Sepember, 2019.
6) Delivered four lectures as a resource person in the "Crash Course for UGC-JRF NET Examination (Paper-I)" organized by the Pre Examination Training Centre (PETC), Gauhati University during 17 September - 28 September, 2019. The lectures were delivered in the following topics:
i) Data: Source, acquisition, classification and type and sampling techniques
ii) Problems related to statistical graphics
iii) Exercises on data interpretation – I
iv) Exercises on data interpretation – II
7) Delivered two lectures as a resource person in the Short term Course on Data Analysis, Vizualization and Interpretation held in the Department on Economics, University of Science and Technology (USTM), Meghalaya on 6 November, 2019. The lecture was delivered on the topic "Characteristic of Data and Data Entry in SPSS".
8) Conducted a workshop on Data analysis in geographical research using R and MS-Excel as a resource person, organized by North-East India Geographical Society (NEIGS) in association with Department of Geography, Gauhati University during July 9-16, 2020.
9) Joint co-ordinator of the 7 days BLENDED ONLINE TRAINING PROGRAM ON "BASICS OF PYTHON PROGRAMMING" organized by the Department of Statistics, Gauhati University in collaboration with Jorhat Extension Centre, NIELIT Guwahati during 25.08.2020 t0 31.08.2020.
10) Delivered two lectures as a resource person on the topic "Introduction to Excel and SPSS "in the Refresher Course in Political Science organized by the UGC HRDC, Gauhati University and held during 07.09.2020 to 20.09.2020.
11) Delivered two lectures as a resource person on the topic "Special cases of Linear Programming Problem: Transportation Problem and Assignment Problem" in the National Webinar on Optimization Methods and its Applications in Real Life organized by the Department of Mathematics, University of Science & Technology (USTM), Meghalaya and held during 25.09.2020 – 26.09.2020.
12) Delivered a lecture as an Invited Speaker on the topic "Circular Statistics: A brief introduction and application" in the Two-day National Webinar on Recent Advances in Theoretical and Applied Statistics, organized by the Department of Statistics, Assam university, Silchar and held during 20.11.2020 – 21.11.2020.
13) Delivered a lecture as a resource person on the topic "Non parametric tests using R" in the workshop on Statistical Data Analysis using R Software organized by the Department of Agricultural Statistics, Sarat Chandra Sinha College of Agriculture, Assam Agricultural University, Assam in collaboration with Jorhat Extension Centre, NIELIT, Guwahati and held during 04.01.2021-11.01.2021.
14) Delivered a guest lecture on the topic "Circular Statistics and Wrapped Distribution" organized by the Department of Statistics, Amity Institute of Applied Sciences, Amity University, Uttar Pradesh and held on 19.02.2021.
15) Course co-ordinator and Resource Person for the workshop on "Introduction to SPSS in research work" organized by the Pre Examination Training Centre (PETC), Gauhati University during April 26 - May 12, 2021.
16) Academic Co-ordinator of and Resource person for a session in the four day online hands-on training programme on the "Use of statistical software - SPSS for data analysis", organized by Jagiroad College, Assam and held during 21-24 June, 2021.
17) Delivered a lecture as a resource person on the topic "NEP 2020: Reforms in Higher Education" organized by the Department of Statistics, Pragjyotish College, Guwahati in collaboration with IQAC, Pragjyotish College, Guwahati and held on 7 December, 2021.
18) Joint Co-ordinator of the "One-Day Workshop on Public Health and Management" organized by the Department of Statistics, Gauhati University and Population Research Centre, Gauhati University and held on 8 December, 2021.
19) Reviewer for the journal 'Journal of Reliability and Statistical Studies' (indexed in WoS-Emerging Sources Citation Index).
20) Reviewer for the journal 'Indian Journal of Public Health' (indexed in SCOPUS and WoS-Emerging Sources Citation Index).
1. Member of the Task Force for Criterion-2 (Teaching, Learning and Evaluation) of NAAC constituted for the preparation of the AQAR 2018-2019.
2. Member of the Sub-committee for Certificates for the 28th Convocation of Gauhati University held on 24 February, 2020.
3. Member of the Sub-committee on Criterion-2 (Teaching, Learning and Evaluation) of the Report Drafting Committee of NAAC-AQAR for the year 2020.
4. Member of the NAAC-AQAR Report Drafting Sub-Committee for Criterion-II for the year 2021.
5. Member of the Platinum Jubilee Celebration Sub-Committee for Refreshments of Gauhati University.