MSc (Gauhati) PhD (NCL Pune)
Organic Synthesis, Catalysis, Computational Organic Chemistry
Department of Chemistry
Gauhati University, Guwahati, 781014
B. Sc. Dibrugarh University (Science College, Jorhat), 1989
M. Sc. Gauhati University, 1992
Ph. D. NCL, Pune (University of Pune), 1999
Nov. 2012 – to Date: Professor, Department of Chemistry, Gauhati University
Nov. 2009 – Oct. 2012: Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Gauhati University Nov. 2006 – Oct. 2009: Reader, Department of Chemistry, Gauhati University
Oct. 2003 – Oct. 2006: Senior Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, Gauhati University
Oct. 1999 – Sept. 2003: Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, Gauhati University
Jan. 2002 – March 2003: Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) Fellow (with Prof. Martin E. Maier), University of Tuebingen, Germany
2007 (July-Sept); 2009 (July-Sept); 2010 (June-July): Visiting AvH Fellow, University of Tuebingen, Germany
• Coordinator, Gauhati University IPR Cell (2013- till date)
• Joint Secretary, Chemical Research Society of India (2017-20)
• Secretary, Society for Chemical Education, Assam (2018-2020)
• Member, Executive Committee, Indian Society for Surface Science and Technology (2018-19)
• Member, Research Council, Bodoland University (2017-20)
• Member, Board of Post Graduate Studies in Chemistry, Nagaland University (2017-20)
• Member, Board of Post Graduate Studies in Chemistry, NEHU (2014-17)
• Member, Board of Post Graduate Studies in Chemistry, NIT Nagaland (2016)
• Member, Governing Body, Moirabari College (2014-17)
• Member, Governing Body, Jagiroad College (2015-18)
• Member, Governing Body, Dispur College (2015-18)
• Board Member: National Chemistry Olympiad Examination, 2010 and 2015
• Reviewer of several journals published by American Chemical Society, Royal Society of Chemistry, Elsevier, Wiley, Thieme, Taylor & Francis, Bentham Science, CSIR-NISCAIR etc. • Associate Editor, J. Assam Sci. Soc. (2005-07)
• Life member, Chemical Research Society of India
• Life member, Catalysis Society of India
• Life member, Indian Society for Surface Science and Technology
• Life member, Association of Chemistry Teachers, India
• Life member, Assam Science Society
• Life member, Society for Chemical Education, Assam
• Member, American Chemical Society, USA
• Member, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK
Cross coupling reactions,
C-H and C-C bond activation,
Nitrene transfer reactions
New synthetic methods using Homogeneous, heterogeneous and Nanocatalyst
Synthesis of heterocycles
Asymmetric synthesis of bioactive molecules
Computational studies on organic reactions
SCIENTIFIC PROJECTS UNDERTAKEN
As Principal Investigator
1. A study on Sharpless catalytic asymmetric aminohydroxylation of enol ethers: Synthesis of enantio-pure alpha amino-ketones (2003-2006, DST)
2. A study on carbon-carbon bond formation reactions catalysed by iodine (2004-07, UGC)
3. Development of synthetic pathways towards bioactive molecules using sharpless asymmetric dihydroxylation (2005-08, CSIR)
4. Organic synthetic methods using NN-dibromo-p-toluenesulfonamide and synthesis of multifunctional materials for redox modulated sensors and catalytic applications (2007-2009, DST).
5. Development of eco-friendly strategies for removal of phenols and other organic compounds from water using highly ordered porous carbon made from tree leaves (2010-2013, MoEF).
6. Development of synthetic strategies for construction of heterocyclic scaffolds using cross-coupling reactions (DST, 2012-2015).
7. Development of organic synthetic methods using nonmetallic catalyst: strategy towards bioactive molecules (UGC, 2012-2015).
8. Magnetic nanoparticles as catalyst for carbon-carbon bond forming reactions (DST, 2013-2017).
9. Activation and functionalization of organic molecules using sulphonamide based reagents (SERB, 2018-2021)
As Co-Principal Investigator
10. Synthesis and catalytic Properties of Coordination Complexes for the Environmentally friendly oxidation of Alkylaromatic Hydrocarbon Compounds (P. I. Prof. B. K. Das, Department of Chemistry, Gauhati University, 2004-07, DST)
11. Catalytic activity of MCM-48 functionalized with transition metals. (PI. Dr. A. K. Talukdar, Department of Chemistry, Gauhati University, 2008-2010, DST)
• Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), UK (2017)
• Bronze medal from the Chemical Research Society of India (2013)
• Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship for POST DOCTORAL RESEARCH, Germany. (Jan 2002 – March 2003; Revisits: 2007 (July-Sept); 2009 (July-Sept); 2010 (June-July)
• Ramanna Fellowship; (DST, India, 2007-2010)
• Best Chemistry Teacher Award (Tata chemicals, ACT, CII, & RSC, 2013)
• Represented the Indian delegation (as a mentor) for 47th International Chemistry Olympiad held at Baku, Azerbaizan, during 20-29 July 2015.
• Represented the Indian delegation (as a mentor) for 46th International Chemistry Olympiad held at Hanoi, Vietnam, during 20-29 July 2014.
• Prof. H. C. Bhuyan award, Assam Science Society (2013)
• Most Cited Paper 2004-07 award (Tetrahedron Letters 2004, 45, 4785-4787 ) Elsevier, UK (2007)
• Top Cited Papers for 2011-12 (J. Mol. Catal, A: Chem. 2011, 339, 24-31) Elsevier, UK (2014)
• Top Cited Papers for 2011-12 (J. Mol. Catal, A: Chem. 2012, 352, 128-134) Elsevier, UK (2014)
• J. N. Baruah Memorial Science Award, (Assam Science Society; Jorhat Br., 2008)
• B. M. Das Memorial Science Award (Assam, 2009)
• Syamasri Gupta Memorial Young Scientist (ISSST, 2011)
• CSIR-UGC NET fellowship for Ph. D.(NCL, 1994 – 99 )
• State Merit Scholarship, Government of Assam (1990-92)
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS :124
Total No. of Citations (as on 11.05.2018, Google Scholar): 1975
1. Bromine and bromoorganic compounds in organic synthesis. Saikia, I.; Borah, A. J.; Phukan, P. Chem. Rev. 2016, 116, 6837-7042
2. A quick Chan-Lam C-N and C-S cross coupling at room temperature in presence of square pyramidal [Cu(DMAP)4I]I as catalyst. Roy, S.; Sarma, M. J.; Kashyap, B.; Phukan, P. Chem. Commun., 2016, 52, 1170-1173.
3. Highly efficient catalyst-free protocol for C-H bond activation: sulfamidation of alkyl aromatics and aldehydes. Borah, A. J.; Phukan, P. Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 5491-5493.
4. A facile noncatalytic pathway for nitrene transfer process: expeditious access to aziridines. Saikia, I; Kashyap, B.; Phukan, P. Chem. Commun., 2011, 47, 2967-2969.
5. A new CoFe2O4-Cr2O3-SiO2 fluorescent magnetic nanocomposite. Borgohain, C.; Senapati, K. K.; Mishra, D.; Sarma, K. C. and Phukan, P. Nanoscale, 2010, 2, 2250-2256.
6. CoFe2O4-ZnS nanocomposite: a magnetically recyclable photocatalyst. Senapati, K. K.; Borgohain, C.; Phukan, P. Cat. Sci. Technol. 2012, 2, 2361–2366.
7. Oxidation of Anisole over MCM-48 Materials Modified by Incorporation of Transition and Inner Transition Metals. Kalita, B.; Phukan, P.; Talukdar, A. K. Cat. Sci. Technol. 2012, 2, 2341–2350.
8. A metal free protocol for aminofunctionalization of olefins using TsNBr2. Rajbongshi, K. K.; Borah, A. J.; Chanu, L. D.; Roy, S.; Phukan, P. J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 5423-5432.
9. Formation of Cyclohepta[b]indole Scaffolds via Heck cyclization: A Strategy for Structural Analogues of Ervatamine Group of Indole Alkaloid. Goswami, P.; Borah, A. J.; Phukan, P. J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 438-446.
10. A simple and efficient method for regioselective and stereoselective synthesis of vicinal bromohydrins and alkoxybromides from olefin. Phukan, P., Chakraborty, P. and Kataki, D. J. Org. Chem., 2006, 71, 7533-7537.
11. Iodine as a very powerful catalyst for three component synthesis of protected homoallylic amines. Phukan, P., J. Org. Chem., 2004, 69, 4005- 4006.
12. Theoretical Insights on the Interaction of N-Heterocyclic Carbenes with Tetravalent Silicon Reagents. Pathak, D.; Deuri, S.; Phukan, P. J. Phy. Chem. A 2016, 120, 128-138.
13. Cu-doped CoFe2O4 nanoparticles as magnetically recoverable catalyst for C-N cross-coupling reaction. Dutta, M. M. Phukan, P. Catal. Commun, 2018, 109, 38-42.
14. Novel dicopper(II)-tetracarboxylates as catalysts for selective oxidation of benzyl alcohols with aqueous TBHP. Sarmah, P. ; Das, B. K.; Phukan, P. Catal. Commun, 2010, 11, 932-935.
15. CuI as reusable catalyst for the Biginelli reaction. Kalita H. R. and Phukan P., Catal. Commun, 2007, 8, 179-183
Click here for full list of publications
1. An improved process for the preparation of cycloalkylphenol. Phukan, P., Dalvoy, V. S. and Sudalai, A., Indian Patent no. IN192844 dated 22-05-2004.
2. An improved process for the preparation of nitroxyl radicals. Phukan, P., Dalvoy, V. S. and Sudalai, A., Indian Patent no. IN 2000DE01033 Dated 12.10.2007.
3. Copper catalyst for C-N and C-S bond forming reaction and process for its manufacture. Roy, S.; Sarma, M. J.; Kashyap, B.; Phukan, P. Indian Patent Application No. 1160/KOL/2015 dated 16.11.2015.
(1) Mr. Debojit Hazarika
(2) Ms. Dineshwori Chanu Loukrakpam
(3) Mr. Mintumann Dutta
(4) Mr. Tarali Kalita
(5) Mr. Debashish Misra
(6) Mr. Hrishikesh Talukdar
(1) Dr. Pranita Chakraborty,
(2) Dr. Hima Rani Kalita,
(3) Dr. Dolly Kataki,
(4) Dr. Kula Kamal Senapati,
(5) Dr. Chinta Moni Sharma,
(6) Dr. Sanjib Deuri,
(7) Dr. Balin Kumar Bhuyan,
(8) Dr. Raj Sekhar Lodh,
(9) Dr. Mridul kumar Hazarika,
(10) Dr. Indranirekha Saikia,
(11) Dr. Arun Jyoti Borah,
(12) Dr. Bishawapran Kashyap,
(13) Dr. Pabitra Kumar Kalita,
(14) Dr. Luku Mani Borah,
(15) Dr. Bhupen Boruah
(16) Dr. Subhasish Roy,
(17) Dr. Rana Sanjay Kumar Singh,
(18) Dr. Kamal Krishna Rajbongshi,
(19) Dr.Progyashree Goswami,
(20) Dr. Nabajyoti Hazarika (Jointly with Dr. G. Baishya, CSIR-NEIST, Jrt),
(21) Dr. Probhali Doley (Jointly with Prof. D. K. Jha, Deptt of Botany, GU),
(22) Dr. Kausthav Mani Deka,
(23) Dr. Manash Jyoti Sarma,
(24) Dr. Mridusmita Goswami,
(25 ) Dipanjali Pathak