MSc (Gauhati) PhD (King's College, London)
Animal Physiology and Biochemistry
Department of Zoology
Gauhati University, Guwahati, 781014
1. sarma, P. nd Kalia, J. C. 2017.Haemolymph protein estimation in six different strains of Eri silk worm, Samia ricini (Donovan).
Gogoi, P. and Kalita, J. C. 2014. Mineral contents of some edible medicinally important leafy vegetables of Kamrup District, Assam.
S. Chakrabarty and Kalita, J. C. 2012. An investigation of anti diabetic medicinal plants used by villagers in Nalbari District, Assam, India. impact factor- 1.11.
2. Sarma, K. K., Kakoty, J. Kalita, J. C. and Barthakur, R. 2012. evaluation of anti dermatophytic activity of Ranunculus pinnata available in North Eastern region of India. Impact factor- 1.22.
3. Deka, J and Kalita, J. C. 2014. Phytochemical screening of the leaves of Cleome gynandra Linn., (Clromaceae).
4. Sarma, P. and Kalita, J. C. 2014. A comparative study on six strains of eri silk worm (Samia ricini; Donovan) based on morphological traits. IF- 1.0368.
5. Deka, N. and Kalita, J. C.. 2012. Preliminary phytochemical analysis and acute oral toxicity study of Macuna pruriens Linn in albino mice. IF- 0.751.
6. Deka, N. and Kalita, J. C. 2012. Preliminary phytochemical analysis and acute oral toxicity study of Clitoria ternatea Linn in albino mice. IF- 0.751.
7. Dasgupta, B., Kalita, J. C., Chowdhury, A. and Kakati J. 2012. Hepato protective activity of Nelsonia canescens (LAM) spreng on acute hepato toxicity induced by paracetamol. IF-1.78.
8. Chowdhury, A. Desgupta, B. and Kalita, J. C. 2012. Hepatopreotective activity of Plumeria alba extract against paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in rats. IF-1.78
9. Mahanta, B. and Kalita, J.C. 2012. Efficacy of Solanum torvum (berries) on carrageenan induced rat paw edema model; an in vivo antiinflamatory study. IF-0.751.
10. Singh, R. K. Y. and Kalita, J.C. 2012. Effect of methanolic extract of Alpinia galangal from manipur ( India) on uterus of overiectomised albino mice. IF.- 0.751.
11. Choudhury, N, Kalita, J. C. and Haque, A. 2012. Effect ofs costus specious koen on reproductive organs of female albino mice. IF- 0.751
12. Purkayastha, S., Kalita, J. C. and Sarma, G. C. 2012. Important finding on plants having antioxidant property; A reveiw. IF- 0.751.
13. Goswami, P. and Kalita, J. C. 2012. Effect of short term exposure of butylparaben on uterine weight of overioctimised C3h mice. IF- 0.751.
15. Narah, M. and Kalita, J. C. 2012. Medicinal plants with potential anticancer activity.
1. Title- Effects of tea drinking on fluoritic patients.
Funding Agency- ASTEC Amount-3,50,000 (INR) Date of sanction and Duration- 2012 , 3 years
2. Title- An investigation on the effect of Phlogacanthusthyrisiflorus flower & Cleome gynandra leaf extracts in modulation of the entero-insular axis in the streptozotocin-induced hyperglycaemic mice.
Funding Agency- UGC Amount- 14,00,000 (INR) Date of sanction and Duration- 2013, 3 years
ON going projects-
1. Title- Integrating herbal medicine of NER with contemporary approaches to develop therapeutic strategies for metabolic syndrome.
Funding Agency- DBT-NER-DDRC Health Amount- 24.55 crores Sanction no.- DBT- NER/ Health/42/2013, 16/6/2016.
2. Title- Quest for cancer drugs: screening and bioassay guided phytochemical investigation of selected endemic plants of Eastern Himalaya.
Funding Agency- DBT, twining programme. Amount- 1.49 crore
1.Teaching Experience: 29 years
2. Research Experience: 31 years (at State, National & International Level)
A. Recognized Ph. D Guide of Gauhati University, Assam, India
Number of Research Scholars guided and awarded with PhD degree: 28
PhD Scholars presented their Final Registration Seminar: 6
M Phil awarded: 2
Publication of Research Papers: 120
B. UK Home Office License Holder on Animal Procedures in 1995.
C. UK Work Permit Holder for doing Postdoctoral Research (January 1999 to September 1999).
A. Secured First Class First position in B.Sc. (Honours) in Zoology from Darrang College, Tezpur, Gauhati University, Assam in 1981.
B. Secured First Class First position with University Academic Gold Medal in M.Sc. in Zoology (Specialization in Physiology) from Gauhati University, Assam in 1983 (Exam held in 1986, delay was due to Assam Agitation).
C. Obtained JRF in the Deptt of Reproductive Biology, AIIMS (New Delhi), 1986-1988.
D. Awarded with the Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarship tenable in the UK for three years commencing from 22 September 1995- 24 November 1998 for pursuing PhD studies at King’s College London, University of London.
E. Earned Ph.D. Degree in 1998 from King’s College London, University of London, UK. 6. Postdoctoral Research Associateship at King’s College London offered by the Lever Hume Trust, UK from 1st January 1999 to 30 September 1999.
F. Award from the Royal Society, London/INSA, India for a short visit to UK from 30 September October 2006 to 30 December 2006 (at King’s College London, University of London).
G. Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship 2010 tenable at Brunel University, West London, UK from 1st October 2011 to 31st March 2011.
4.Research interests & Activities:
Reproductive physiology, Endocrine disruption; phyto-estrogens; environmental estrogens. Validation of Traditional uses of medicinal plants of North Eastern Region of India for curing diabetes, reproductive problems and cancer.
5. Seminer/Conference Participated: 65
A. National: 42
B. International: 23
C. Acting as member of Mentoring Committee for DBT- Star College Scheme
D. Acting as Resource Person in many programs of under UGC/ASTEC/DST
6. Academic Extension work:
A. Acting as the member in Governing Body of a few affiliated Colleges
B. Acting as VC’s nominee in the Selection Committee of Principals in some Colleges
C. Acting as Academic Expert in Selection of Teachers in some Colleges
D. Acting as VC’s nominee in Selection Committee for Faculty Development Program in certain Colleges.
E. Delivered more than 500 Lectures in Colleges, Universities and Schools on Education, Science, Technology and Career opportunities for School, College and University students.
7. Involvement in the academic/Administrative/Corporate life of the university:
A. President, Gauhati University Teachers’ Association (GUTA), 2015-16
B. Coordinator, Gauhati University Overseas Alumni Association (GUOAA)
C. General Secretary of Gauhati University Teachers’ Association (GUTA): 4 Terms (2002-2003 & 2003-2004, 2008-2009, 2009-2010).
D. Resource Person/Course Co-coordinator/Assistant Course Coordinator for various training programmes for teachers of the UGC-Academic Staff College of Gauhati and other Indian Universities from rom 1999- onward.
E. Supervising Officer/Assistant Supervising Officer:
i. In different Examination Centres under Gauhati University, Assam
ii. In UGC-CSIR/NET Examinations at Gauhati University Centres
iii. MBBS Entrance Examinations conducted by Gauhati University.
iv. PG Entrance Examinations Centre of Medical Colleges of the State.
F. External Observer:
i. State Level Eligibility Test (SLET) Examinations at different Centres in North Eastern Region conducted by the SLET Commission (GU) Assam. (2004-2014)
ii. Zonal Officer: Assistant Zonal Officer of both PG and UG courses of Gauhati University, Assam. 1990-1994, B. Zonal Officer of LLB (Preliminary) Examinations 2004.
iii. Zonal Officer, L.LB Intermediate Examinations. 2005-2008
iv. Zonal Officer, L.LB Final Examinations. 2005-2008
G. Acted as the Station Superintendent:
UGC-NET Examinations for award of JRF and Eligibility for Lectureship: [i]. June 2007, [ii]. December 2007, [iii] June 2008, [iv] December 2008.
H. Resource Person/Moderator: In various programmes organized by the Women’s Studies Research Centre, GU. (2005-2008)
I. Warden of University Hostels:
i. Warden V. Venkatarao Research Scholars’ Hostel, GU. (2002-2006)
ii. Warden of AT-6/AT-7 Boys’ Hostels (1992-1995).
iii. Warden (i/c) of JB Law Hostel (AT-9 Boys’ Hostel), GU (2005-2006).
iv. Warden, RCC-V Girls’ Hostel, GU (2007---2012)
v. Warden (i/c) AT-6/AT-7 Boys’ Hostels (2008)
J. Involvement in Students related various activities:
i. Teacher in-Charge of PGSU in different student activities
ii. University Law College Students’ Union, GU activities.
K. Keeping good relation with Students, Officers, and Employees of GU & with GU Authorities:
i. Co-Convenor of the Organising Committee of the Lachit Borphukan Memorial Lecture in GU 2004.
ii. Convenor of the Publicity Committee, Diamond Jubilee Celebration Committee, GU 2008.
iii. Convenor, Co-ordination Committee of GUTA, GUOA and GUWU on the issue of huge financial scam in GU during 2003/2004.
iv. Election Officer in PGSU General Elections 2005/2006
v. Help conducting General Elections of the Gauhati University Workmen’s Union (GUWU): 2004-2009
vi. Election officer, General Elections of the Gauhati University Workmen’s Union (GUWU): 2010-2011
vii. Convenor of the Reception Sub-committee of NAAC Peer team visit to Gauhati University from 16 March to 19 March 2010.
viii. General Secretary, GU Community Durga Puja Celebration, 2006.
8. Administrative experience:
A. 3+ years working as the Director College Development Council (CDC), Gauhatai University, Guwahati from November, 2011 to November, 2014.
B. Appointed as the Director (i/c) of the UGC-HRDC, Gauhati University (Additional Charge) in July 2017.
9. Member in different Administrative/ Advisory Committees of GU constituted by the Executive Council, GU as well as by the Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor, GU time to time:
A. Member of the Security Advisory Committee, GU.
B. Member of the Town Advisory Committee of GU.
C. Member of the Quarter Allotment Committee, GU.
D. Member of the Health & Discipline Committee, GU.
E. Member of the Hospital Advisory Committee of the GU Hospital.
F. Member of Medical Board, GU.
G. Member of the Managing Committee of the GU Model School (English Section).
H. Member of the Governing Body of the GU Model High English School, GU.
I. Member of the Governing Body of the GU Hindi High School, GU.
J. Member in the Committee for arrangement of a Dedicated Power Supply Line to GU and alternative supply of Electricity for GU.
K. Institutional Animal Ethics Committee, GU.
10. Member in various academic committees in Gauhati University and other Universities:
A. Member of the GB of Puthimari College, Kamrup, Assam
B. Member of the GB of Mangaldoi College, Mangaldoi, Assam.
C. Member of the GB of DK Girls’ College, Mirza, Kamrup, Assam
D. Member of the Governing Body, Tezpur Law College, Tezpur.
E. Member of the Course and Syllabus Committee of PG courses in Zoology of GU.
F. Member of the Departmental Advisory Committee, Department of Zoology GU.
G. Member of the Board of Under Graduate Studies (BUGS) in Zoology of Rajiv Gandhi University, Arunachal Pradesh.
H. Member of the Board of Postgraduate Studies (BPGS) in Zoology of Rajiv Gandhi University, Arunachal Pradesh.
I. Member of the Board of Postgraduate Studies (BPGS) in Zoology of Mizoram University.
J. Member of the Board of Postgraduate Studies (BPGS) in Zoology of NEHU, Shillong.
K. Member of the Post Graduate Board of Studies at Cooch Behar Panchanan Barma University, Cooch Behar, West Bengal.
11. Membership & office bearer of different societies:
A. Life Member & General Secretary of Zoological Society of Assam
B. Member of the Society of Sterility and Fertility, UK
C. Life Member of the Zoological Society of Kolkata, Calcutta University.
D. Life Member of the Assam Science Society.
E. Life Member of the Biotechnology Society of NE India.
F. Life Member of the Council for Teacher Education, India.
G. Life Member, Indian Association of Nuclear Chemists & Allied Scientists.
H. Chief-Editor/Editor/ Adviser, Luitor Pora Thamosoloi, a Literary Magazine published by NRI of UK
I. Member, Society for Ethnopharmacology (SFE), India.
J. Member, Assam Council for Educational Administration and Management (ACEAM) affiliated to Commonwealth Council for Educational Administration & Management.
K. Executive Member, Assam Sahitya Sabha.