MA (Gauhati) PhD (Gauhati)
Folk Literature, Bodo Literature, Post Modernism
Department of Folklore Research
Gauhati University, Guwahati, 781014
Born on 9 December , at Kahitama Village ,(then Kamrup and presently Bagsa district ) near Manas national park in 1961 . Studied at NKB high School ,Kahitama.
Graduated from B.H.College ,Howly and Post graduation (English literature ) from GAUHATI UNIVERSITY .
Joined service as Lecturer in English ,Dimoria college, Khetri in 1988 and worked there till 2000.
Joined Folklore Research Department , Gauhati University in 2000.
Also worked as Guest faculty Bodo department since 1996 .
Presently holding the position of Associate Professor and HEAD and Director Incharge, The CENTRE FOR PERFORMING ARTS.
Visited Copenhagen University and National Museum Of Denmark for an exhange and collabiorative programme .2013. Delivered lecture on Indigenius religions of North east .
Visited Beijing with AlL India Writers delegation team, 2009 . Delivered lecture and took part part in sessions on IndIan literature
Visited University of Tartu, Estonia, 2018 on Erasmus faculty exchange programme .Delivered lecture on 1. Folklore and ethnic identity in the context of North east India .2. Indigeous religions of the Bodos
Attended KRITYA POETRY FESTIVAL, at Thiruanathpuram 2014
Attended Amaravathi Poetry Festival , Amaravati ,VIJAYAWADA ,2017
Attended Northeast and Western writer meet Laksadweep, 2017
Attended international Poetry conference INDIAN OCCEAN RIM POERTY FEST ,NEW DELHI 2014
Attended ISFNR Conferences at Athens, Vilnius, Shillong , Miami,
Member of Academic and Professional bodies : Member INDIAN FOLKLORE CONGRESS ,Member ,ISFNR (International sciety For Folk Narrative Research ).
Member Sahitya akademi (Executive Board and General Council )
Member Birla Foundation ( Bhasa and Khetriya samaiti )
Board of studies member ,NEHU,Shillong, Ranchi Central University ,Nagaland University ,BOARD OF STUDIES GARO DEPT.NEHU , TURA CAMPUS
Edited on line journal of tranlation Thunslai
Quarterly print journal ( BODO SAHOTYA SABHA )The Bodo
Journal of Folkloristics. Folklore reseacrh Department ,Gauhati university .
Nominated as ACADEMIC COMMITTEE MEMBER ,INDIAN INSTITUTE OF Advacned Studies, Simla .
1. Oral poetry of the Bodos : ethnic voices and discourse in Indian Folklife ,2008 chennai .
2. The trickster in Assamese folktales . Indian folklife vol 4 2006 Chennai
3. Globalization and local culture , Indian folklife , Chennai
4. The Bodos of Assam An introduction, The Bodo , classic re visited from 1950 eds P.B.Anderson and S,soren,NIAS Press ,Copenahgen 2015
5. On translating Sankho Ghos in Muse india e jounal Dec. 2017
6.Few poems by Anil Boro NEZINE.com june 2016
7.Poems by Anil Boro Dimorian review ejournal
8. Poems by Ranjit Gogoi In English translation .INDIAN LITERATURE .New Delhi 2016
9. North east literature : a review , Journal of litearture and culture ,Mizoram University 2017
10.Puppetry,Performance and socio cultural significance , Indian cork industry and Puppet dance , Bijni college , 2015 .pp.14-20
11. Identity and folklore critical perspectives , Identity : Critical Perspectives . Sonapur college , 2016 pp 31-47
12.Folk culture , folk artistry and the indigenous tribes of Northeast India . Folk culture of the Indigeous communities of North east India .Guwahati "DVSPublishers. 2017 pp57-70
13. Orality ,poetics and performance in the songs of Bhuoen Hazarika ,Journal of Folkloritcs VOL.I MARCH :2013 Pp. 35-42. ISSN 2347-8934 2013
14. POETRY OF RITA BORO TR. IN ENGLISH FROM BODO. INDIAN LITERATURE VOL 273 Jan Feb . P 99-102. ISSN 978-812604253-1 2013.
15 Invention and tradtion in the Folklore of the Tribes of North East India .Gauhati University Journal of Arts.XL..2004.pp 87-93
16. Oral literary criticism and the song of Zaraphagla . Indian Journal Of Folkloristics .XII .No 1/2. Mysore .2010. pp .41-47.
17. History in the oral tradtions of the Rabhas and Karbis. Bulletin of Folklore research .Guahati university ..Vol 4-5. 2004-05.pp.90-98
18. Folktales told in the death rituals among the Bodos of Sonitpur , Anundom. ABILAC. 2017.pp
19. The Legend of Chandramali and Katia Budang .IIC Quarterly . New Delhi :IIC Monsoon -Winter ..2005.pp.18-19
20. Folklore : Disocurse of the Marginalised .A Report .IFC Journal of Indian Folkloristics .Vol. VIII.No.1/2 Mysore .2006.pp..85-88
21.Bodo Narrative of Serja : The Musical Instrument. Indian Journal of Folkloiristics .Vol..VII.No 1/2.Mysore 2005.pp.59-67
22. Man ,nature and Traditon n the Text Of Sandw Baodiya : An Ecocritcal study In Transcript : Journal of,litrature and cultural studies .VolI. 2014 pp.9-19.
1. A History of Bodo literature , Sahitya Akademi ,2010.
2. Folk literature of the Bodos , NL Publication Guawahati ( first publlished , Adhunik prakashan 2001)
3. The Flute and the Harp GBD Kolkata 2004
4 Serja Sifung ,GBD Kolkata , 2004 (esays on literature and culture )
5. Adhunik Boro Sahitya , Guwahati
6. Gwdan thunlai (critical essays on literature )
7. Boro thunlaini mohor mushri (critical essays )
8. Delhpini onthai mwdai arw gubun gubun khonthai ( poetry collection )
9. Angni gamiyao dwijlang ( poetry collection )
8. Delphi and other poems ,Guwahati 2015
9. Delphir Xilamurti aru onnanya kabita 2016
10. Secret Romances :Haiku and Short poems , Guwahati 2017
1. Kok Borok Subung methai arw khonthai, Sahitya akademi .New Delhi 2012
2. Nepali Khonthai Bihung , Sahitya akademI , New Delhi . 2014
3. Khonthai Bihung , Sahitya akademi ,New Delhi. 2009
4. Bodo galpa sankalan .Sahitya akademi, New Delhi . 2012
5.Saijak Boro Koklob, Tripura Research and Cultural instititute .2018
1. Identity and Folklore critical perspectives .in Identity: Critcal persepectives .Guwahati 2016 pp.57-70
2. Folk culture .folk artisan community and the indigenous tribes of North east , In Folk culture and the indigenou communites of North east India DVS Publishes .Guwahati 2016.pp31-47
3. Indian literature : my impressions , in Cultural Contour of History and Archeology . BR Publishing .New Delhi 2016 .pp144-148
4. The Bodos : an introduction ,in The Bodo of Assam Revisitng A clsssic study from 1950. NIAS Press.Copenhagen .2015. pp1-14.
5. Boro loka sahitya .in Axomor Janagosthiyo loka sahitya .Dibrugarh university. 2009.pp . 269-281
6. Parivesh prakriti aru Loka sanskriti, in Bipanna Parivesh, Sankatapanna basundhara Guwahati 2011.pp. 1-10
7. Hemango Biwas aru loka sanskriti charcha . In Hemango Biswas : Dristi aru Sristi. 2009.pp.62-79
8. Boro aru Sanslisto janajati. in Asomor janajati aru sanskriti.Jorhati : Asom sahitya sabha . 2011.pp. 20-25
9. Boro Anubadot Sri Sri Sanakrveor borgit .in Anunad : Sr Manta Sankardev aru asomiya sanskriti .Bhanai print and publications .2012.pp 3-14
10. Hiranyakasipu bodh .in Anunad : Sri Manta Sankardev aru asomiya sanskriti .Bhabani print and publications
11. Ethnic identity and search for the roots in post colonial Bodo poetry in Post Colonial Writings .Shillong .2011.pp.95-103
12. Introduction , A Critcal Inventory of Northeasrt Tribal literature .New Delhi : Sahitya Akademi .2014 pp. .XI-XIII.
13.Forbiden fruits and other poems in VIbrant Vibrancies : KRITYA POETRY FESTIVAL .2014 Thiruananthpuram .pp.60-63.
14. Orality , poetics and performance in the context of Northeast literature in Orality and Beyond : Northeast Persepctives .New Delhi : Sahitya akademi .2007.pp.88-98.
15. Etnic identity and search for the roots in Bodo litreature ,In Politics of Culutre ,identity and Protest in Northeast India.New Delhi : Autjhor press. 2009.pp. 49-56.
16. Ethnic identity of Thengal Kachhris of Assam : politics of exclusion and ethnic assertion : the role pf folklore .in Politics of Culture ,Identity and Protest in Northeeast India .New Dehi Author press .2009.pp 57-75
17. Functions of Bodo folk literature in A Glimpse of Bodo language ,literature and Culture .New D4lgi 2000.pp. 29-41
18. Fire in the forest and If you evere come to my village.in Songs from the sea .New Delhi : Sahitya akademi .2014.pp.117-120
Attended ISFNR Conference at Ragusa ,Italy from 12-16 June 2018 . Presented paper on Bodo legends and Places : memory and meaning in inter culutral communitcation
I was invited to the University of Tartu, Estonia (Department of Estonian and Comoarative Folklore )as part of Erasmus faculty exchange programme from 12-19 March 2018. The university is one of the European Universites to have have long relations with our Department and have collaboartive and exchage programmes. Prof Ulo Valk, Chair of Estonian and Compoarative Folklore and Former President of ISFNR has undertaken many collaborative works with our Department .
I was invited to the same Department under the Univesrity of Tartu to deliver LECTURE ON TWO TOPICS:
1. Ethnic identity and Folklore in the Context of Northeast India
2. Indigenous religions of The Bodos of Assam
The Department successfully organised a
NATIONAL SEMINAR ON URBANIZATION AND FOLKLORE
NATIONAL SEMINAR ON URBANIZATION AND FOLKLORE
Where more than 102 papers were presented on the diverse sub themes like :
1. Urbanization and folklore
2. Urban folk fetsivals and rituals
3. Urban folk and their psychology
5. Urban folk speech , legends
6. Urbanization and commodification
7. media and folklore the digital world
1. I was awarded Prestigious Sahitya akademi award by Sahitya akademi ,the National Akademi of Letters ,New Delhi for 2013 for the Poetry Book
DELPHINI ONTHAI MWDAI ARW GUBUN GUBUN KHONTHAI .
( The Stone Deity of Delphi and Other Poems )
2. I was awarded Rangsar literary award by Bodo Sahitya Sabha for the Poetry Collection
ANGNI GAMIYAO DWIJLNAG ( MONSOON IN MY VILLAGE )
The Department Journal is being published with a new name /title JOURNAL OF FOLKLORISTICS
ISSN NO 2347-8934
(EARLIER IT WAS PUBLISHED UNDER THE TITLE: BULLETIN OF FOLKLORE RESEARCH )
More than 23 PhD and 30 Mphil students have completed their research works under my supervision .
Some of the areas/ topics of their research are :
. 1.Social folk Cuctoms of the Koches of Meghalaya
2.Ethnicity and Folk music of Pratitma Pande Baruah
3. Marketing and Folklore items of the ethnic groups of Assam
4. The Voice of Women in Assamese Folklore : A Study of few Assamese folksongs
5. Ethnicity and Folklore : A study among the Thengal kacharis
6. Women characters in Nilkamal Brahma's short fiction : A study
7. Role of Mising folk tales and rhymes in imparting informal education
8. Folk, fact and fiction in Nigerian fiction .
9. Nabakanta Barua'r sristit loka sanskttir upadan
10. Songs of Dr Bhupen Hazarika : A Folkloiristic study
11. Bathou religion and its impact on Bodo society
12 Brahma religion and its impact on Bodo society
13. Legends related to the Neo Vaisnavite Sattras of lower Assam .
14 Ethnicty and Folklore : a study among the Sarania kacharis
15. Boro Sakalar Bayan Abhikalpana.
16. Affinities between the NEPALIS AND THE BODOS : A study in BTAD Area
17 Moral Values refleted in the Collected Folktales of Bezbaroa
18.Aspects of Folklore in Modern Bodo poetry ( from 1952-2000)
19. Lakhimpur Anchalar Bihu : Phato bihur Ullikhon xaha.
20. Imapct of neo Vaishnavism on the Bodos of Sonitpur district .
21. Plays of Kamal Kumar Brahma : A study
22. Novels of Monoranjan Lahary : A study
23. Poetical works of Bisnujyoti Kachari : A study
24. Costumes and Ornaments of the Tiwa community of Morigaon disrtict.
25. Aspects of social folk customs of the Tiwas .
26. Debendranath Acharjyar upanyasat samaj chetana : eti adhyayan
27. Goalpara anchalor Koch Rajbangshi lok samaj aru lok sanskriti : eti adhyayan
28. Festivals and social integration Among the communities of Morigaon
29.Position of Women in the Folktales of the Rabhas and Garos
30. Social folk customs of the Bodos of Goalapra district