Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Niraj Agarwala
Department of Botany, Gauhati University
Date of birth: 16.11.1982
Weather differently abled: No
Education and qualifications
Degree: Ph.D. in Biotechnolgy
Institute/University: Gauhati University
Degree: M.Sc. in Botany
Institute/University: Gauhati University
B.Sc in Botany
Institute/University: Jagiroad College
Plant disease Biocontrol, miRNA in plant development and stress response, Molecular biology of Plant pathogen interactions.
Title: “Study and Analysis of Differentially Expressed Genes in Tea (Camellia sinensis(L). O. Kuntze) in Response to Exobasidium vexans Infection”
Ph.D supervisor: Dr. Sudripta Das
Institute/Organization/University: Gauhati University Year of award: 2015
1. Tezpur University, Tezpur, India
Research Associate March, 2015-October, 2016
Project : “Sequencing genomes of some bacteria that resides/invades in tomato plant”
2. Dimoria College, Assam, India
JRF, February, 2014-March, 2015
Project: “Establishment of Institutional Biotechnology hub in North East India”
I am working on extension activities like creating awareness among school and college level students in various aspect of biotechnology by organizing workshops, seminar and outreach programme.
3. Tocklai Tea Research Institute, TRA, Jorhat, Assam, India
SRF, October, 2010-October, 2013
Project: “Molecular documentation of Darjeeling tea using DNA profiling”
Using SSR marker system, 140 Darjeeling tea clones were screened for identification of unique molecular signature for Darjeeling tea.
4. Tocklai Tea Research Institute, TRA, Jorhat, Assam, India
JRF, October, 2007-October, 2010
Project: “Development of Transgenics for blister blight resistance in tea”
β1,3 glucanase gene from Solanum tuberosum introgressed into Assam tea variety TV21 using Agrobacterium mediated gene transfer method.
Name of Award
Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering(GATE) fellowship
MHRD, Govt of India
EMBO travel award
Early Career Research Award
SERB, DST, Govt. of India
- Understanding Darjeeling tea ﬂavour on a molecular basis. Gohain, B., Borchetia,S.,Bhorali,P.,Agarwala,N., Bhuyan,L.P.,Rahman, A., Sakata, K., Mizutani, M., Shimizu, B., Gurusubramaniam, G., Ravindranath, R., Kalita,M.C., Hazarika, M., Das,S. Plant. Mol. Biol.2011, 78(6), 577.
- Molecular Analysis of Drought Tolerance in Tea by cDNA-AFLP Based Transcript Proﬁling. Gupta, S., Bharalee, R., Bhorali,P., Das,S.K., Bhagawati,P., Bandyopadhyay,T., Gohain,B.,Agarwala, N., Ahmed, P., Borchetia, S., Kalita,M.C., Handique, A.K., Das,S Mol. Biotechnol.2012,53(3),237.
- Identification of drought tolerant progenies in tea by gene expression analysis. Gupta, S., Bharalee, R., Bhorali, P., Bandyopadhyay, T., Gohain, B.,Agarwala, N., Ahmed, P., Saikia,H., Borchetia, S.,Kalita, M.C., Handique, A.K., Das, S. Funct. Integr. Genomics.2012,12(3),543.
- Heterologous expression and in-silico characterization of Pathogenesis related protein1 (CsPR1) gene from Camellia sinensis. Agarwala, N.,Bhorali, P., Bhattacharyya, N., Bharalee, R., Bandyopadhyay, T., Gohain, B., Gupta, S., Deka, M., Das, S.. J Biochem Technol.2014,5(2),674.
- Isolation of Functional RNA from Heavily Infested, Wilted and Necrotic Leaf Tissues of Tea with High Polyphenol Content. Bandyopadhyay,T., Bharalee, R.,Gohain, B., Gupta, S.,Agarwala, N., Singh, H.R., Chakroborty, S.,Bhorali, P., Kalita, M.C., Das, S. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2012, B2,121.
- Molecular analysis and expression of blister blight defense related genes in tea. Bhorali, P., Gohain, B.,Gupta, S.,Bharalee, R.,Bandyopahdyay, T.,Das S.K.,Agarwala, N.,Singh, H.R.,Bhagawati, P.,Bhattacharyya, N.,Ahmed, P.,Borchetia, S.,Sarma, S.,Das, S. Indian. J. Genet. Plant. Breed.2012,72(2),226.
- Identification and validation of stable reference genes in Camellia Species. Gohain, B.,Bandyopadhyay, T., Borchetia, S., Bharalee, R., Gupta,S.,Bhorali, P.,Agarwala, N., and S. Das. E3 Journal of Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Research.2011,2(1),9.
- Cloning and heterologous expression of a gene encoding lycopene-epsilon-cyclase, a precursor of lutein in tea (Camellia sinensis var assamica). Borchetia,S., Bora,C., Gohain,B., Bhagawati,P., Agarwala,N., Bhattacharya,N.,Bharalee,R., Bhorali,P., Bandyopadhyay,T., Gupta,S., Das,S.K., Singh,H.R., Ahmed,P., Gogoi,M., and Das,S. Afr J Biotechnol.2011,10(32),5934.
- Exogenous gene transfer in Assam tea [Camellia assamica (Masters)] by agrobacterium-mediated transformation using somatic embryo. Singh,H.R., Bhattacharyya,N., Agarwala,N., Bhagawati,P., Deka,M., and Das,S. European journal of Experimental Biology 2014, 4(3),166.
- Molecular cloning, expression and computational analysis of a water stress inducible copper-containing amine oxidase gene (CuAO) from tea plant [Camellia sinensis (L.) O. Kuntze]. Bharalee,R., Gupta,S., Bandyopadhyay,T., Gohain,B., Agarwala, N., Kalita,M.C., and Das,S. Afr J Biotechnol.2012,11(89), 15547.
- Rubisco-bis-phosphate oxygenase (RuBP)- A potential housekeeping gene for qPCR assays in tea Gohain,B., Bandyopadhyay,T.,Bhorali,P., Borchetia,S., Bharalee,R., Gupta,S., Agarwala,N., Bhattacharyya ,N.,Singh,H.R.,Bhagawati,P.,Ahmed,P.,Kalita,M.C.,ad Das S. Afr J Biotechnol.2012,11(51),11193.
- Agrobacterium mediated transfer of nptII and gus genes in Camellia assamica. Bhattacharyya,N., Singh,H.R.,Agarwala,N., Bhagawati,P., Ahmed,G., Das S. Journal of Agricultural Biotechnology and Sustainable Development.2014,6(2),22.
- Ribosome Profiling: An Insight into the Dynamics of Translating Ribosomes on a Coding Sequence: A Review Article. Agarwala,N., Ray S.K. International journal of Molecular Genetics and gene Therapy.2016.1(2),1.
- Indo US workshop on “Epigenetic Regulation on Genome Control (emphasis on RNAi and miRNA) organized by Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, December 16-18, 2009.
- Workshop on “Analysis of Biological Networks” held at IIT, Guwahati organized by Department of Biotechnology, IIT Guwahati during 6-7 November 2012.
- Intensive training programme on “Science Communication” organized by CSIR-NEIST, Jorhat India.18-21 February, 2013.
- DBT, Govt of India sponsored training programme on “Whole Genome Sequencing and Annotation” organized by the Bioinformatics Centre, Indian Institute of Spice Research, Kozhikode during 21-25 February 2012
- DBT, Govt of India sponsored “Workshop on AFLP” organized by Tocklai Experimental station, TRA, Jorhat Assam.29 October to 2nd November, 2007.
- Workshop on “Next Generation Techniques of DNA” jointly organized by Institutional Biotech Hub and Bioinformatics Centre, Institute of Advanced Studies in Science and Technology” during 20-22 October, 2014.
- One day orientation workshop on “Sensitization on Biodiversity and Climate Change” organized by Assam Science Technology and Environment Council(ASTEC) on 4th September, 2014.
- Attended UGC-NRCBS workshop on “Differential gene expression in bacteria and plants” at School of Biological Sciences, Madurai Kamraj University during 1st February to 14th February,2017.
- Participated in an interactive meet on “Molecular Intricacies of Plant Asscociated Microorganisms(MIPAM) during November 18-20, 2016 held in the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam.
- Participated in International Symposium on Plant Biotechnology for Crop Improvement(ISPBCI) during 20-21 January,2017 held at IIT Guwahati, Assam, India.
Oral/Poster presentationin National and International seminar/conferences
- “Dissection of molecular mechanisms related to blister blight resistance in tea” Niraj Agarwala*, Sudripta Das, INDO-US workshop on RNAi and Genome control, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, India. Dec 16-18, 2009.
- “Decoding of Resistant Host Transcriptome for Blister Blight Disease in Tea” Niraj Agarwala*, Neelakshi Bhattacharyya, Raju Bharalee, Bornali Gohain, H.Ranjit Singh, Tirthankar Bandyopadhaya, Priyadarshini Bharali, Manab Deka & Sudripta Das. An Oral Presentation at Frontiers in Modern Biology at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research-Kolkata, 4-5 February 2012.
- “Herbivory Induced Transcriptome Changes In Tea” Tirthankar Bandyopadhyay*, Raju Bharalee, Bornali Gohain, Sushmita Gupta, Priyadarshini Bhorali, Sourabh Kumar Das, Niraj Agarwala, H.Ranjit Singh, Parveen Ahmed, Prasenjit Bhagawati, Neelakshi Bhattacharya, Sangeeta Borchetia and Sudripta Das. Plant Genetics, Genomics And Biotechnology 2010, Institute Of Cytology And Genetics, Russian Academy Of Sciences (Siberian Branch), Novosibirsk, Russian Federation, June 6th Till June 10th 2010.
- “Defence oriented changes in the tea transcriptome upon infection by Exobasidium vexans”. Priyadarshini Bhorali, Niraj Agarwala, Bornali Gohain, Sushmita Gupta, Raju Bharalee, Tirthankar Bandyopadhyay, Sourabh Das, Ranjit Singh, Prasenjit Bhagawati, Parveen Ahmed, Neelakshi Bhattacharyya, Sangeeta Borchetia, Soneswar Sarma and Sudripta Das. 12th International PhD Student Symposium. 21-23 Oct, 2010, EMBL, Heidelberg, Germany.
- “Comparative analysis of drought responsive transcriptome in Tea (Camellia sinensis) genotypes with contrasting drought tolerance”. Raju Bharalee, Sushmita Gupta, Tirthankar Bandyopadhyay, Bornali Gohain, Priyadarshini Bhorali, Sourabh Kumar Das, Niraj Agarwala, Parveen Ahmed, Prasenjit Bhagawati, Neelakshi Bhattacharyya, Mohan Chandra Kalita, Sudripta Das . International Symposium and Workshop on functional Genomics and Structural Biology (9- 13 May, 2011), University Putra Malaysia, Malaysia.
- “Tea Quality; A molecular Insight ” Bornali Gohain, Tirthankar Bandyopadhaya, Raju Bharalee, Sushmita Gupta, Priyadarshini Bhorali, Saurabh Kumar Das, Niraj Agarwala, H.Ranjit Singh, Parveen Ahmed, Prasenjit Bhagawati, Neelakshi Bhattacharya, Chiranjana Borah, Sangeeta Borchetia and Sudripta Das. 6th Scandinavian Plant Physiologist Society PhD student conference held at University of Helsinki, 2-5 September 2010.
- “Deciphering the molecular trajectory in Darjeeling tea due to abiotic and biotic stress” Bornali Gohain, Tirthankar Bandyopadhyay, Raju Bharalee, Sushmita Gupta, Priyadarshini Bhorali, Saurabh Kumar Das, Niraj Agarwala, H.Ranjit Singh, Parveen Ahmed, Prasenjit Bhagawati, Neelakshi Bhattacharya, Chiranjana Borah, Sangeeta Borchetia, and Sudripta Das, at the International Conference on frontiers in biological sciences held at National institute of Technology, Rourkela from 1-3 october 2010.
- Oral presentation on “ Identification and characterization of differentially expressed genes in tea (Camellia sinensis (L). O. Kuntze) in response to Exobasidium vexans infection” at “57th Annual Conference of Association of Microbiologist of India” and International Symposium on “Microbes and Biosphere: What’s New and what’s next” during November 24-27,2016 held at Gauhati University, Guwahati, Assam, India.