Department of Education, Gauhati University was established in 1948.
The Department of Education started in 1948 was installed in the magnificent Arts Building. It was shifted to the (present) new building in February, 1990. The total land area is about 4024 Sq.Ft.. It is situated in calm and quiet academic environment. Previously the B.T. College was attached to the Department which managed to train a good number of teachers of Secondary School.